Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Grace and Mary Come to Play

Last year about this time, when we announced our move to friends and family, there were a few souls who signed up for a spot at the Penner Bed and Breakfast immediately.   I think Mary and Grace may have had the first reservation!

Grace is a dear friend of Ellie's from Linden Christian School.  They met in Kindergarten and have loved each other ever since.  I am thankful - not just because Grace is a great friend for Ellie, but because I really love Grace's mom Mary.  When you're a stay-at-home-mom type, you've got a lot riding on the friends your kids choose!  Chances are, you'll be spending some time with them over the years!  I knew I'd be friends with Mary when I realized it was safe to expel the drivel that comes from my oft-naughty mouth in the hallway at the Christian school with her around.  Not only was it safe, she'd actually laugh. She'd usually offer some of her own drivel and I'd laugh at her.  She'd also make rude comments when she'd see me with bed-head and my toque on my head at 3:20 in the afternoon almost daily.  Now that, dear readers, is a friend!

SO, we were all delighted when Mary planned to take Grace on a "Girl's Weekend Away" over the weekend of Ellie's birthday.  We counted down the days, purchased chocolate and Diet Pepsi and began the wait.

Mary and Grace arrived just in time to catch some of the Voices of Nature concert at the girl's school.  Nothing like a BC baptism by fire!

The next day was Ellie's eight birthday.  After breakfast and some presents, we were off to the Vancouver Aquarium.  The girls had planned to lick lollipops from their friend Megan all the way there!







One of Ellie's presents from Grace was an awesome t-shirt that reads, "I (heart) being Me".  I adored this shirt from the minute I saw it!  Mary and I lamented that there should be some of these t's in ladies sizes for us too!  Here are the girl's sporting their new t's, scarves, and 4-D glasses waiting for the movie to begin at the Aquarium.



After our day at the Aquarium, the girls played....and played.... and played.  During the weekend they played some more.   Those girls can play without coming up for breath.  It was so good to hear giggles and laughs and secrets and watch plays and shows and commercials they created.  If playing were a sport, those two would be on the podium.

We spent Friday night celebrating Ellie's birthday at The Boathouse restaurant in Port Moody.

I love food.  I love reading about it and looking at pictures of it.  So now I'm going to make you do the same,  Mary and I both ordered the "Westcoast Grilled Chicken Salad".  I think it may have been the yummiest salad I've ever eaten.  It featured mixed greens, grilled chicken, roasted red pepper, edamame, mango, Okanagan goat cheese, crispy wontons and a citrus vinegarette.  I had to take a picture of this masterpiece.



Saturday was spent doing what girls do best.  Shopping.  We shopped till we dropped at Metrotown with all the girls - then we came home for some R and R and left the girls to go shopping again - just me and Mary.  We had a great time - ending the evening with appies and Bellinis at Cactus Club.   Our biggest surprise of the shopping trip was stumbling upon some good finds at - wait for it - Stitches.  That's right - the Tween headquarters of Stitches came through big time as you will soon see.

Sunday included a dance-off in the living room to Ellie's new Dance Mix...


....and me and Mary showing off the mom equivalent of Ellie and Grace's t-shirts -
 "Love Hooo You Are".  I may be wearing the same t-shirt as some of the girl's in Hannah's class at school.

I'm OK with that.


Thankfully Sunday was full of sunshine, so we headed out to Lynn Canyon on an afternoon hike.





Before we knew it, it was time to drive Mary and Grace to the airport for their flite home.  It was a whirlwind of great company and good memories.  The Penner Bed and Breakfast has a room available for those two anytime.

1 comment:

  1. I love it! Thanks for doing such a great job of summarizing our time with you! Such great memories, with great friends. Can't wait to see you again!
    M n G

    ReplyDelete